The California Department of Public Health issued an updated policy on gatherings to protect public health and slow the spread of COVID-19. The State’s public health experts have determined that small gatherings can proceed only if the organizers can implement “social distancing” of six feet per person.
Consider alternatives to traditional open houses:
- Hold open house by appointment only
- Allow only one set of visitors to enter the property at a time
- Delay open houses for one week and assess the situation weekly
- Talk with your clients and broker for alternatives to holding properties open
National Association of REALTORS® recommendations include:
- Speak openly and honestly with your seller about the pros and cons of holding an open house.
- Propose alternative marketing opportunities such as video tours and other methods to virtually tour a property
- If you do hold an open house:
- require visitors to disinfect their hands upon entering the home
- provide alcohol-based hand sanitizers, disposable towels and trash receptacles at the entryway
- provide soap and disposable towels in bathrooms
- check with your client in advance about any cleaning products you plan to use
- recommend that your client disinfect their home, especially commonly touched areas like doorknobs and faucet handles
The situation changes by the day and we will continue to monitor national, state and local guidelines and present them to you as necessary.