Bay East Association of REALTORS® was started in Alameda County, California in 1922 with two simple goals – to advance and protect the real estate profession.
Today we represent more than 5,700 real estate professionals and provide MLS services to nearly 5,900 users throughout the East Bay. For nearly a century, we have continued growing and working to provide members with the tools they need to succeed in an ever-changing market. Our members include residential and commercial REALTORS®, brokers, property managers, appraisers, lenders, and other real estate professionals.
Excerpts from an early history of the Bay East Association of REALTORS® by an unknown past president…
The Oakland Real Estate Board had been looking for ways to attract licensed brokers in the Southern Alameda County area since the 1940s. In early 1947, the Oakland Board, the California Association and brokers in the Southern Alameda County area created a steering committee to determine how to proceed. From this, in September of 1947, 22 real estate brokers, desiring to join together in friendly cooperation to better serve the needs of their growing area formed the Southern Alameda County Real Estate Board. They realized that as a group, they would be better informed about the real estate market and better able to help their clients in finds homes, lands, or businesses.
The first president of the Board was John A. Deadrich III of San Leandro. The Board’s first office was located at 784 Commercial Street in Hayward. The office occupied the dusty loft over a feed store. During the first year, the members’ joint efforts produced 619 sales, with a valuation of $6.25 million. Breakfast meetings were inaugurated by the members and occurred every Friday morning at 8am. The purpose of these meetings was to get acquainted and exchange ideas; listen to outstanding speakers and promote the Board’s interests. At the end of the year, the Board had paid all outstanding bills and had $2,584 dollars in the bank. A Christmas party held at Plands in San Lorenzo ended the year. Tickets to the event cost $2.75 and included dinner, dancing, prizes, tip & taxes.
The following year, the Board joined with the Alameda Board to host a visit by the State President and State Secretary of the California Real Estate Association (CREA), which later became known as the California Association of REALTORS® (C.A.R.). The same year the National Association of Real Estate Boards (NAREB), which later became known as the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR), held their convention in San Francisco. By this time, the board had increased to 67 members, a gain of 45 members during that first year.
By 1949, the membership had increased to 74 members and joined other boards to educate the public on the proper use of the term “REALTOR®”. This same year saw the signing of a reciprocal agreement with the Berkeley Board, work with the City of Hayward on pre-zoning policies and the Board won the National Award given for “outstanding achievement in rendering great public service to their community and promoting goodwill for their Board, and thereby for REALTORS® everywhere”.
The Board had grown to 80 members during 1950 and determined more space was needed to serve the members and thus moved to 1035 B Street, in Hayward. This time the offices were located over a hardware store and provided room for the two staff.
1951 saw the breakfast meeting changed to luncheon meetings which helped increase the number of attendees. A bulletin, which was being published weekly, was given a name – “REAL-TORO” (a contest had been held to come up with the name and the winning member received a $25 Defense Bond). Other notable achievements included a new photo service in conjunction with the Multiple Listings; a night school course in real estate was started as was a bowling team, and the Board provided assistance to the Military Housing Authority by finding $50-$60 monthly rentals for Park Air Force Base personnel.
At the CREA Convention in 1952, the Board set up a Hospitality Room for the attendees. Both the CREA and NAREB Presidents came to meet with the members of the Board during the year. The Board sponsored a high school essay contest on the topic “Why I Want My Own Home”. The Board joined with the Alameda, Berkeley, Oakland, and Richmond/El Cerrito boards in a reciprocal agreement. The Board continued to grow and with the membership reaching the century mark, the Board purchased a lot for building a “home of their own”; and started construction.
The following year, membership topped 110 Brokers and for the first time, multiple listing copied were furnished to homeowners. Another “first” was the printing of photographs on the reverse side of the listing. The new building was finished, and the Board moved to their new location at 21144 Mission Blvd. in Hayward by holding an open house on May 1, 1953. New equipment was installed, more staff added, and a Board library was started with voluntary contributions by the members.
John A. Deadrich III was installed as the President. 1954 saw the Mastifile system for current listing implemented at the Board. One of the rules enacted was “property must be listed for a minimum of ninety days in order to be placed on the Multiple Listing Service”. Membership was now at 125.
1955 saw membership increase to 132 brokers. The Board organized a Toastmaster Club chapter; sent 81 members to the CREA Educational & Sales Conference in Berkeley; judged the annual “Beauty Queens of Castro Valley at a May luncheon; and added a new neon sign to the building displaying the new name for the Board – “Southern Alameda County Board of REALTORS®”.
By 1956, membership passed 150 and the Board saw nearly 2,000 sold listings ($23 million) processed through the Multiple Listing Service. REALTORS® Week was held in March in conjunction with the nationwide push to inform the public of the aims & obligations of REALTORS®. On May 18, the Board burned the mortgage on the Board Office and purchased the adjoining property for future expansion. A new policy was started where a letter was sent to the homeowner prior to listing expiration and suggesting an extension of the listing. The Board created the staff position “Public Relations Director” to keep the members better informed of issues affecting real estate at the local, state and national levels.
The slogan “REALTORS® Know Real Estate” was adopted in 1957. “Lockboxes” were made available to members and proved great time savers in keeping keys to the properties on the premises. During the year, the officers and directors went to Sacramento to meet with the CREA President and Secretary and attended a legislative session as guests of Assemblyman Carlos Bee. Membership had grown to 167 and sales topped $25 million.
The Board committee, Education/Orientation, prepared a course and examination on the Bylaws, MLS, and Code of Ethics. Multilocks supplanted the Lockboxes in 1958. The Board played host to the NAREB convention in San Francisco. An Executive Vice President staff position was formed; the Bylaws were updated, and a number of community service projects were undertaken.
By 1959 the active membership dues had increased to $400, which did not dampen the desire by real estate professionals to join the Board. This year a luncheon was held to celebrate the 200th Board member. The Board decided to retain legal counsel to meet with the Board on a regular basis. The Board introduced a membership roster and sent 28 members to the CREA Convention in Los Angeles. A number of members reached 10 years with the Board and sales hit $38 million.
The installation became a dinner/dance and was held at the Castlewood Country Club. The membership was asked to approve a budget for remodeling the Board offices and in October a loan for $123,000 was secured and construction began. The Board hired nine billboards in the area to promote “REALTORS® Know Real Estate” during REALTORS® Week. Sales for 1960 reached $45.5 million and another 36 members were added.
1961 ushered in the first “REALTOR® of the Year’ award and was presented to John A. Deadrich III. The Board had its first NAREB director elected and also had a member appointed to the State of California Real Estate Commission by the first Governor Brown. On May 19th, dedication ceremonies were held in the newly remodeled Board offices. A new 50-star flag which had flown over the nation’s capital was presented by Congressman George P. Miller. Later the same year, the Board enacted a new $10 office transfer fee and a requirement that all new salespeople acquire a salesperson’s kit. The MLS fee was changed to 1% with a $5 filing fee.
By 1962 the Board was regularly sponsoring events for the members, these included gold tournaments, dances, a Christmas party, and a boat trip to see the Giants beat the Dodgers at Candlestick Park. Sales increased to $53 million in spite of the new MLS fees. The Board now had 248 members. An administrative assistant was hired for the Executive Vice President, which allowed the Board to expand the public relations program. The NAREB began an advertising campaign in national magazines to promote the professional stature of REALTORS®. Boards were asked to contribute $25 per member and the Board was the largest board in the NAREB to give 100%.
A Professional Conduct & Ethics Committee was formed in 1963 along with new by-laws establishing Grievance and Arbitration committees. A straight $10 filing fee was implemented. A new orientation program was instituted which included a $25 fee, entrance exam, four 2-hour classes, and a final exam. The Board won (for the second time in two years) the CREA Achievement Award for Participation in State and National Affairs. Sales reached $60 million.
• 1973 – membership at 3600, daily delivery of all listings, solds, changes to member offices
• 1983 – California had 183 boards (108 boards in 2015)
• 1985 – New building, computerized operations
• 1995 – sold building and moved to 7031 Koll Center, Suite 200, Pleasanton
• 1998 – moved to 7901 Stoneridge Drive, Suite 150, Pleasanton
• 2016 – purchased building at 7021 Koll Center Parkway, Pleasanton
• 2017 – merged with the Alameda Association of REALTORS®