2.86Avg Per Household
62.6%Single Family Homes
- Housing units: 39,328
- Percent of housing stock that is Single-Family Detached Homes: 62.6%
- Homeownership rate: 50.5%
- Average persons per household: 2.86
10 Largest Employers
|West Contra Costa Unified School District||1,580|
|Social Security Administration||1,259|
|U.S. Postal Service||1,047|
|Contra Costa County||844|
|City of Richmond||776|
|The Permanente Medical Group||694|
|Kaiser Foundation Hospitals||426|
|Michael Stead Auto Depot and Sales||472|
Public School District K-12
Open House Sign Ordinance
Sign LocationSigns must not interfere with, obstruct, or misdirect traffic or pedestrian movement.
# of Signs AllowedSix.
Maximum Sign HeightThree feet.
Maximum Sign AreaSix square feet.
Sign Text & Other RequirementsNo restrictions.
Days and Times Signs may be DisplayedSaturdays, Sundays and holiday between 10:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
Contact InformationPlanning Department: (510) 620-6706
Potential Disclosure Issues
Sewer Lateral Compliance in the City of Richmond
Properties in the City of Richmond may be serviced by Richmond Sanitation District, Stege Sanitation District or the West County Wastewater District.
Sewer Lateral Compliance - Richmond Sanitation District
Whenever a property is to be sold or there is a transfer of title, a sewer Certificate of Lateral Compliance must be obtained. The procedures herein must be followed by the property owner to obtain a Certificate of Lateral Compliance.
Sewer Lateral Program – Stege Sanitation District
Property owners are required to obtain a “Certificate of Compliance” for their sewer laterals upon transfer of title (sale of property), significant remodel of $100,000 or more, or increase in water meter size. To obtain a Certificate of Compliance, the property owner must contact EBMUD directly to schedule an inspection. In addition, the property owner must also obtain a sewer permit from Stege Sanitary District for any sewer related construction work.
Sewer Lateral Testing/Compliance – West County Wastewater District
Backwater Overflow Prevention Device – West County Wastewater District (WCWD)
Additional Tax Information
Residential Rental Inspection Program
- Residential rental housing units that are subsidized by federal, state, or local government, and/or
- Newly constructed residential rental units for a period of five (5) years
Note: The City of Richmond is proposing to modify the existing ordinance to expand the Residential Rental Inspection Program to include all rental property owners (with the exceptions above). Additional information will be mailed to rental property owners that will be affected by this change.
Business License Requirement
Transfer Tax Information
Contra Costa County Transfer Tax($ per thousand of sale or transfer price) $1.10
per each thousand
Local Transfer Tax($ per thousand of sale or transfer price) $7.00
per each thousand
Property Tax Rate*($ per thousand of assessed value) 1.3094%
per each thousand
* This is not the rate for all properties. A detailed Property Tax Bill with the most accurate Property Tax Rate can be found at the Tax Assessor’s website. If you’d like to see your Contra Costa County property tax bill, visit Contra Costa County Assessor and follow these instructions.
- Building Inspections(510) 620-6868
- Business License - Finance Dept. (Business License Unit)(510) 620-6742
- Cable and/or Phone - Comcast(510) 490-8445
- Cable and/or Phone - SBC(800) 310-2355
- Electricity - PG&E(800) 743-5000
- Finance Department(510) 620-6740
- Fire Department(510) 307-8031
- Garbage - Richmond Sanitary Service(510) 262-1640
- Gas - PG&E(800) 743-5000
- Housing Department - Richmond Housing Authority(510) 621-1300
- Permit Department(510) 620-6868
- Planning/Zoning Department(510) 620-6706
- Police Department(510) 233-1214
- Public Works(510) 231-3008
- Recycling - Richmond Sanitary Service(510) 262-7100
- School District - West Contra Costa Unified School District(510) 231-1100
- Water - EBMUD(866) 403-2683