2.5Avg Per Household
48.1%Single Family Homes
- Housing units: 169,710
- Percent of housing stock that is Single-Family Detached Homes: 48.1%
- Homeownership rate: 41%
- Average persons per household: 2.5
|Oakland Unified School District||7,664|
|State of California||7,480|
|City of Oakland||5,082|
|Alta Bates Summit Medical Center||3,623|
|Children’s Hospital & Research Center||2,600|
|Internal Revenue Service||2,500|
|Peralta Community College District||1,420|
Public School District K-12
Open House Sign Ordinance
General InformationFor more information contact the Planning and Zoning Office at (510) 238-3911 (press 2)
Open house signs may not obstruct any public right of way.
Potential Disclosure Issues
Regional Private Sewer Lateral Ordinance
The City of Oakland requires sewer lateral inspections prior to a home being sold. Additionally, inspections also are required for remodeling projects of $100,000 or more, and when a property owner changes the size of their water meter.
This point-of-sale requirement is in response to a court order from the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The EPA is requiring the East Bay Municipal Utilities District (EBMUD) repair damaged sanitary sewer pipes to prevent untreated waste from being released into the San Francisco Bay. EBMUD is in turn passing the responsibility to individual property owners who will have to obtain a certificate from EBMUD showing their sewer laterals are not damaged and are connected properly.
Condominium Smoking Disclosure
All sellers of condominium units are required to disclose to prospective buyers respectively whether smoking is permitted in the unit and the smoking policy for the complex.
Protected Tree Ordinance
Requires that property owners obtain a permit prior to removing Protected Trees on their property. Removing a Protected Tree without a permit can result in a special assessment against the property.Protected Tree Ordinance
Some areas of Oakland are in close proximity to the Oakland International Airport.
Fire Hazard Zones
Mello-Roos Tax and Special Assessment Districts
Oakland currently has several active property taxes and assessment districts including Library Parcel Tax, EMS Tax, Paramedic Services Tax, Community Facilities District No. 1 (Rockridge Library), Community Facilities District 2003-1 (Werner Court), and Violence Prevention and Public Safety Services Taxes. Detailed descriptions are available at: here.
Additional Tax Information
The Alameda County Assessor Treasurer-Tax Collector’s Office may have additional information about property-specific taxes or assessments. You may look up a property by its parcel number or street address.
Residential Rent Adjustment Program
Regulations for rent-controlled units (effective August 1, 2014):
- Only one rent increase is allowed in a twelve month period.
- Maximum of 10% annual limit on all rent increases, unless CPI is above 10%.
- Maximum of 30% on rent increases within a 5-year period. Rent increases above 30% in a 5-year period allowed if only CPI increases were given during 5-year period.
- Maximum 70% of capital improvements costs can be passed through to tenants.
- Units exempt from the Rent Adjustment Law are dwelling units which were newly constructed and received a certificate of occupancy on or after January 1, 1983.
- Debt service as a justification for a new rent increase is eliminated.
In most cases, there is no limit on increases when a tenant moves out and a new tenant moves in. Once the new tenant moves in, the Rent Law limits future increases.
Enhanced Noticing Requirements for All Capital Improvements
- Notice of rent increase
- Rent Adjustment Program (RAP) Notice to Tenants
- Summary of capital improvements:
- With costs listed by category
- Date improvements were completed and paid for
- Start and end date of rent increase
This set of 3 documents must be filed with the Rent Adjustment Program (RAP) within 10 days of service on each tenant affected by the capital improvement.
Failure of Owner to provide the required set of documents invalidates the proposed capital improvement rent increase.
Owners may still file a petition with RAP for a capital improvement increase in lieu of the enhanced notice requirements.
Energy Efficiency Program Financing - Property Assessed Clean Energy (“PACE”)
Business License Fee on Rental Property
Every person who owns, harbors or has in his/her possession or control any dog over four (4) months of age in the City shall pay a license fee. No more than three (3) dogs allowed per residence. For more information visit: OaklandDogLicensing and find local and state laws applicable in Oakland at: LawsApplicabletoOaklandDogOwners
Type/Term 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year
Unsterilized $100.00 $150.00 $175.00
Sterilized $10.00 $15.00 $20.00
Senior Citizens (60+) Pet License Discount Eligible
Replacement Tags: $8 per tag
Disclosure of Smoking Policy in New and Existing Multi-Housing
New Development Zones
Transfer Tax Information
Alameda County Transfer Tax($ per thousand of sale or transfer price) $1.10
per each thousand
Local Transfer Tax($ per thousand of sale or transfer price) $15.00
per each thousand
Property Tax Rate*($ per thousand of assessed value) 1.3654%
per each thousand
* This is not the rate for all properties. A detailed Property Tax Bill with the most accurate Property Tax Rate can be found at the Tax Assessor’s website. If you’d like to see your Alameda County property tax bill, visit Alameda County Assessor and follow these instructions.
- Building Division(510) 238-3444
- Business License(510) 238-3704
- Cable and/or Phone(844) 246-9494
- Cable and/or Phone(855) 369-6101
- Electricity(800) 743-5000
- Environmental Services(510) 238-3686
- Finance Department(510) 238-2220
- Fire Department(510) 238-3856
- Garbage(510) 613-8710
- Gas(800) 743-5000
- Housing Division(510) 238-6182
- Permit Department(510) 238-3443
- Planning/Zoning Dept(510) 615-5566
- Sheriff Department(510) 777-3333
- Public Works(510) 238-3961
- Recycling(510) 613-8710
- Water(866) 403-2683