2.97Avg Per Household
80.7%Single Family Homes
- Housing units: 8,553
- Percent of housing stock that is Single-Family Detached Homes: 80.7%
- Homeownership rate: 76.5%
- Average persons per household: 2.97
Public School District K-12
Open House Sign Ordinance
Sign LocationOpen house signs must be placed behind the sidewalk if the sidewalk is adjacent to the curb, or if the landscaped parkway is adjacent to the curb. Signs may not be located on rights-of-way, landscaped medians or parkways, in the center divider, sidewalk, and/or traffic islands of public streets, bicycle paths or public walking trails.
# of Signs AllowedOne sign for each direction at any intersection for each real estate company regardless of the number of listings located in that direction. Maximum of three signs at the corners of major arterial/collector streets and intersections. Maximum of two signs on secondary or residential.
Maximum Sign Height30 Inches.
Maximum Sign AreaSix and one quarter square feet.
Sign Text & Other RequirementsA-Frame signs only, stick signs are strictly prohibited. Signs should be designed with directional arrows. No balloons or attachments are permitted.
Days and Times Signs may be DisplayedWeekends from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Brokers tour from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Contact InformationPlanning: (510) 245-6531
Municipal Code34.500 C
Potential Disclosure Issues
Sewer Lateral Ordinance
Sewer Lateral Ordinance No. 457 requires a Sewer Lateral Certificate of Compliance prior to the close of escrow upon a sale or other transfer of the house, building, property or other structure served or, if there is no escrow, prior to recording a deed or other document transferring title to the house, building, property or other structure served.Hercules Sewer Lateral Ordinance
Additional Tax Information
The Contra Costa County Treasurer-Tax Collector’s Office may have additional information about property-specific taxes or assessments. You may look up a property by its parcel number or street address.Lookup Current Taxes
The City of Hercules does not have a rent control ordinance.
The Residential Health & Safety Inspection Program
The City of Hercules has adopted the Residential Health & Safety Inspection Program to ensure that all rental properties in the city are maintained. All properties offered for rent within the City of Hercules are required to register. Properties are identified with a records research; properties not claiming a Homeowner’s Exemption with the Contra Costa County Assessor’s Office are contacted as potential rental properties. All properties that are not registered within the allotted time frame will have a lien placed on the property for the registration fees and administrative costs.Hercules Residential Inspection Program
Business License Requirement
The City of Hercules requires owners of rental properties to have a business license.Hercules Business License
Transfer Tax Information
Contra Costa County Transfer Tax($ per thousand of sale or transfer price) $1.10
per each thousand
Property Tax Rate*($ per thousand of assessed value) 1.3094%
per each thousand
* This is not the rate for all properties. A detailed Property Tax Bill with the most accurate Property Tax Rate can be found at the Tax Assessor’s website. If you’d like to see your Contra Costa County property tax bill, visit Contra Costa County Assessor and follow these instructions.
- Building Department(510) 799-8240
- Business License - Planning Department(510) 245-6531
- Cable and/or Phone - AT&T(800) 310-2355
- Cable and/or Phone - Comcast(888) 266-2278
- Cable and/or Phone - DirecTV(888) 777-2454
- Cable and/or Phone - Vonage(800) 705-7092
- Electricity - PG&E(800) 743-5000
- Environmental Services(510) 215-3060
- Finance Department(510) 799-8200
- Fire Department - Rodeo-Hercules Fire Protection(510) 799-4561
- Garbage - Richmond Sanitary Service(510) 262-7100
- Gas - PG&E(800) 743-5000
- Housing Department - Affordable Housing Department(510) 245-6517
- Permit Department(510) 799-8240
- Planning/Zoning Department(510) 245-6531
- Police Department - Hercules Police Department(510) 799-8260
- Public Works(510) 215-3060
- Recycling - Richmond Sanitary Service(510) 799-8241
- School District - West Contra Costa Unified School District(510) 231-1100
- Water - EBMUD(866) 403-2683